A Mother of 2 Shares Her Journey With Gestational Diabetes Mellitus (GDM)•
Posted on May 09 2021
When Vanessa was diagnosed with gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) for both pregnancies, she took preventive actions to ensure it did not affect her children's health. This Mother's Day, we celebrate her and all you resilient mamas out there!
Together with the Health Promotion Board, we bring to you this sharing from Vanessa on her journey managing gestational diabetes and how it affected her perspectives on motherhood.
Vanessa shares that when she was diagnosed with GDM and the doctor shared the possible effects on her health and that of her baby, it dawned on her "I wasn't just doing things for myself anymore. This is it, I am now a mother." In light of her diagnosis, she feels it is important to go for screenings more regularly which will enable her to take charge of her health situation, and actively take preventive measures.
"The first great thing we can do as mothers is to look after our health for our children."
Treating GDM boils down to controlling your blood glucose levels. This can be done by eating well, exercising and if prescribed, taking insulin. Not every woman with GDM needs insulin. Some practical steps with regards to diet are:
1. Swap out white rice for brown rice.
2. Take more vegetables and low sugar fruits like apples, oranges, bananas.
3. Avoid sauces.
4. Keep meals small, and spilt them into intervals.
5. Cut out sweet drinks like bubble tea, juices and soft drinks. But remember to keep hydrated with plain water!
A Mother of 2 Share...
When Vanessa was diagnosed with gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) for both pregnancies, she took preventive actions to ensure it did not affect h...Read More
Printable Hospital ...
9 month of preparation and D-day is approaching! In this last lap, we hope to get you ready for the most important day of your pregnancy - deliver...Read More
Stretch Mark Preven...
1. What is it? Stretch marks are a result of the body expanding faster than your skin is able to keep up. Collagen and elastin, which give skin it...Read More